Update on 19 Year Old Ashanti Billie Who Went Missing in September

Ashanti Billie


Fresh updates have emerged on the gruesome murder of 19 year old, college student, Ashanti Billie. According to reports, a retired  Naval officer has been arrested and charged with kidnapping and first degree murder in connection to the death of Ashanti Billie.

Eric Brian Brown, 45 faces a life sentence if found guilty of the charges announced on Wednesday.

On September 18, 2017, 19 year old Ashanti Billie went missing. The college student was last seen entering the Naval base: Joint Expeditionary Base-Little Creek in Norfolk, Virginia where she worked at Blimpie Subs.  Sadly, Billie never arrived at work. 11 days later, her body was found more than 300 miles away by a landscaping worker in Charlotte, N.C. Her car was found prior to the 29th in Norfolk.

Billie’s car was found on a residential street in Ocean View

Brown was arrested after investigations reveal that he had constantly visited the Blimpie Subs where Ashanti Billie worked and on several occasions made sexual advances at Billie. His DNA was also found on her body. An eye witness claimed that one time, the navy veteran made a ‘crude sexual comment’ to Ashanti.

Eric Brian Brown

According to prosecutors, Brown was homeless and “lives at random facilities and buildings on and off the naval bases,” As a retired Navy petty officer, Brown had access to Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek in Virginia Beach, where Ashanti worked and was last seen.

The motive for killing Ashanti Billie remains quite unclear but the prosecutors say Brown who is African-American, reportedly told law enforcement that he hated African-American women. He said they were “gold diggers” who “only want guys with all the money,” It clearly must have been a case of unrequited affects as a witness in the ongoing trial claimed that Brown’s pressurised Billie so much that she reported his advances to her superior who moved her to another part of the base days before she went missing. We were able to get our hands on Ashanti Billie’s death and missing time as shared by The Virginian Pilot:


Sept. 14: Eric Brian Brown entered Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story, according to base records.

Sometime after 4 a.m. Sept. 18: Ashanti Billie left her apartment near Virginia Beach’s Town Center and headed to work at a Blimpie sub shop on the base, where she was an assistant manager. She was scheduled to open.

4:44 a.m.: Billie entered Gate 3 at the base, according to video released by the FBI. There was a crash on base, so she turned around and drove out three minutes later.

4:58 a.m.: She re-entered through Gate 1, where a guard scanned her ID. The car was seen leaving 34 minutes later, according to her mother.

5:40 a.m.: A residential security camera recorded a man tossing an object into a Norfolk dumpster.

Around 9 a.m.: One of Billie’s co-workers arrived at the sub shop and noticed she wasn’t there. When he called Billie’s phone, a construction worker answered, saying he found it in the dumpster.

Sept. 19: Base records indicated Brown entered through Gate 1 again, despite the fact no records or surveillance video showed him leaving. That same day, someone using Brown’s phone started searching Norfolk news sites about “Norfolk police looking for a man in connection with homicide.”

Sept. 21: Someone using Brown’s phone started searching Charlotte news sites.

Sept. 23: Police reported that Billie’s car was found on a residential street in Ocean View. A nearby resident said it had been there for days.

Sept. 25: Several of Ashanti Billie’s family, friends and supporters go to U.S. Rep. Scott Taylor’s office to seek his help in getting federal investigators more involved in the search. Later that day, the FBI announced it was taking the lead in the investigation and offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to Ashanti. Blimpie’s later offered to match the reward amount.

Sept. 27: Investigators located Brown on an area Navy base and started following him. They watched him wander around the base and sleep in different places.

Sept. 29: A woman’s body was found behind a church in Charlotte, N.C. Media reports linked the body to the Billie disappearance.

That same day, police watched as Brown tried to arrange a “date” with a known prostitute.

Sept. 30: Investigators watched Brown walk up and down on/off ramps of Interstate 64. Norfolk police ultimately arrested him on a trespassing charge, but he was released. Later that day, the FBI issued a news release announcing the body was identified as Ashanti Billie.

Oct. 3: Virginia Beach Police arrest Brown on charges he solicited the prostitute while under surveillance.

Oct. 13: A busload of people from Virginia Beach were among the many who attended a funeral for Ashanti at a church in Fort Washington, Md. That same day the FBI asked the public for videos that may have captured Billie’s Mini Cooper traveling between Hampton Roads and Charlotte between Sept. 18 and Sept. 23.

Oct. 27: The dumpster video was released to the media. That same day, investigators spoke with Brown at the Virginia Beach jail. He acknowledged being on the base the day Billie disappeared.

Oct. 31: One of Brown’s co-workers contacted the FBI about the dumpster video and said the unknown man appeared to be Brown.

Nov. 8: The FBI announced that Brown, 45, of Virginia Beach, was charged with kidnapping Ashanti Billie.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police said they had charged him with her murder.




Share You Thoughts